Sunday, March 19, 2006

Vendetta, the Film

“V” is for very interesting movie. By recommendation, I went to see “V For Vendetta,” brought to us by the same brothers responsible for the “Matrix” triune: the first one brilliant, the second just a movie, and the third a train wreck. Some “scenes” notwithstanding, “V” speaks about what’s on a lot of people’s mind regarding the current state of affairs and, specifically, the paralyzing indifference to it. The reviews were largely favorable, with some notable exceptions, like that of the Chicago Tribune, which hasn't endorsed a non-Republican for President in a half century.

There’s a line near the end of the movie which I don’t think I’ll forget. Until I get the actual script, it goes like this: “You can’t kill me because behind this mask is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.”

Exaggeration in art has always served the purpose of getting important points across. “V” does that, in part, because it seems nothing else will penetrate a sedated public. The movie is interesting also because of what happened to me when buying my tickets. The ticket person charged me and my wife the “senior” rate. I was shocked and offended. Premature gray, yes, but I’m nowhere near “senior.” In fact, according to many, I’m an inch away from juvenile. When I complained to my wife, I said: “That guy charged me the senior price,” which is about 2 bucks cheaper. She laughed because that “guy” was a female. I guess we all missed something.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaams,

Check out the original graphic novel by Alan Moore:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289528/102-5445728-3180141?v=glance&n=283155

3/20/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger Abuljude said...

Umm... Mr. English major...

What is the "Vandetta" in the title? The newest failure from GM? :)

3/25/2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger fromclay said...

Ahh ... that's the ... the .... ahhhhh ... British spelling .... You didn't know that? Make me laugh!

3/25/2006 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home