Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Retention Pond Life


Some days you feel like this. I went out yesterday before the rains came looking for a stray great white egret I had seen, those majestic birds you find near shorelines. They're magnificent creatures with long legs and elegantly curved necks; regal things when taking flight, with the tips of their broad wings tapping the water surface, leaving two long rows of perfect ripples. What brought it to a retention pond, I don't know. Poor thing. I saw it a few days in a row, which tipped me off that it may have started to actually nest. So I grabbed my camera and headed toward the pond, but the egret was nowhere. Same thing this morning: gone. Being the explorer (of the animal channel) that I am, I decided to photograph some other life forms. I came across this turtle. Perfect. The animal with the kind of speed that permitted me to "sneak" up and shoot. I walked around the pond and was excited to see a family of deer by a suburban fence. I sprung into my zoology mode and crawled up to the family of Odocoileus virginianus and took this stunning photo.


I frankly do not understand what fake yard ornaments like these bring to the owners. Oh well. Back to work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salamaat,
"Perfect. The animal with the kind of speed that permitted me to "sneak" up and shoot." This had me laugh out loud! I have the same issue with taking photos of all the amazing awe inspiring living things around us.

I have a hard enough time capturing Sufyan doing a "cute" thing, by the time I focus the lenses he is off doing something else or catch him right when he is turning away...sigh.

5/16/2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger fromclay said...

I think you just need to walk around with a camera and take random shots and maybe catch one or two moments when "cute" happens. Or, go find a turtle instead. Meanwhile, I'm not giving up on finding the egret.

5/16/2007 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home