Friday, January 06, 2006

Hitchens on Sharon (In "Slate")

I'm not a recovering fan of Christopher Hitchens, though when he wrote for The Nation more than a decade ago, I did find his articulations original when not frustrating, especially his observations about eastern Europe. But that was way back when. Something apparently changed in Hitchens, as evinced in his once unthinkable sybaritic support of war in Iraq, his own spiritual Diaspora imposed insultingly on Islam (often without the typical and mandatory buffer words like "militant" or "extremist" or whatever other code word that he and people like NYT's Brooks take shameless shelter in), his unseemly repartee with neo-cons, whom he would "normally" lambaste without provisions for prisoners nor mercy, and other (I want my American citizenship) sundry genuflections. But behold, his summary of the meaning of "What Sharon Did" and his red “filthy” (Hitchens’ word) legacy is very well done on Slate magazine this morning. It's a good read with good links.

1 Comments:

Blogger Illie said...

I was thinking the same thing as I read the Slate piece this morning.
I was glad and a little surprised to see a bit of the old Hitchens back.
I still read him regularly in Slate, though now his skill in making a dense argument is often frustrating rather than entertaining. Still a good writer, just on the wrong team.

1/06/2006 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home