Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Desecration Gone Wild

In my application for sainthood, I'll include the follow story: When I was an undergraduate, a couple of born-again Christians passed out pocket-sized Bibles near the entrance of the student center. I took one, and so did a friend of mine, a Christian who apparently had some unresolved issues. He walked over to a nearby garbage can and spiked the Bible into the bin. I didn't like what he did. So I reached into the trash, took out the Bible, cleaned it off, and decided to keep it in my care.

Desecration is a tough thing to accept, whether of the Bible or Quran. To react against it is quite human, but not to death. Having said that, please read this story in the NYT in which Friedman said something right (darn it!).

I also wrote an article on it in the Christian Science Monitor. See May 24th's entry.

Ethics confusion is a kind of desecration of the mind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you dont feel like registering to the nytimes (or any other newspaper website) go to
www.bugmenot.com

They have usernames and pws for a bunch of sites with free logins.

ITs great for users of googlenews

for nytimes.com
username:bugmenot87
pw:bugmenot

5/22/2005 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to the point of the post- I agree the author's observation is painfully correct.

Someone said regarding this whole insident something to the affect of: Open the books of Islamic Law and find all the laws addressing murder and compare that to all the laws addressing the desecration of the Quran

5/22/2005 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home